2 CUPS BUTTERMILK
ZEST OF 1 LEMON
1 ½ CUPS STONE-GROUND YELLOW CORNMEAL
1 CUP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
½ TEASPOON BAKING SODA
½ TEASPOON SALT
3 TABLESPOONS MELTED BUTTER, SLIGHTLY COOLED
1 LARGE EGG
1 TABLESPOON VEGETABLE OIL
1 1/2 CUPS FRESH BLUEBERRIES, (fresh is always best, but in the winter we use the frozen blueberries from our garden…and they are still yummy!)
1. Mix thoroughly cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Whisk buttermilk, egg, lemon zest, and butter. Add to cornmeal mixture. Blend gently.
3. Heat non stick skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes. Pour a little oil in pan and spoon ¼ cup of batter to form pancakes. Add 10 to 12 blueberries per pancake.
4. Cook on each side for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Keep warm in 200 degree oven until service.
FRESH BLUEBERRY SYRUP
1 Cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Cup water
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Cup fresh blueberries
1. Whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
2. Add water, whisk and put over medium low heat.
3. Allow mixture to come to boil and simmer for 3 minutes while stirring often.
4. Add blueberries and butter and stir for an additional 2 minutes.