Ecological sensitivity is one of our highest values at The Inn at Tabbs Creek. We strive to implement as many Eco-Friendly practices into our business as possible, and we are proud to have won the “Green Facility Program of the Year Award” for 2011 and “Green Travel Leader” award for 2012 from Virginia Green and the Virginia Tourism Council.
Here are some ways we have implemented Eco-Friendly practices:
- In our remodel and restoration of this old Virginia Bed and Breakfast, we attempted to reuse or recycle as many materials, fixtures, furniture, and appliances as possible. We chose sustainable building materials such as cork, bamboo, and low VOC paints and insulation. We also improved the carbon and water footprint of our property by installing new argon filled, low e windows, replacing outdated heating and cooling systems with more energy efficient systems, replacing old inefficient water heaters with “tank less” water heaters, and adding water conserving toilets in all of our guests bathrooms.
- By partnering with carbonfund.org, we are paying carbon offsets for our guests travel.
- We are committed to a recycling program both in the guest rooms and on site.
- Whenever possible, we will provide locally grown organic produce, (mostly from our own garden),as well as other organic and all natural food products.
- All of our gardens are fertilized and treated with all natural and organic products. We offer organic garden tours as well as oyster gardening tours upon request.
- We have installed a Hague water treatment system which uses reverse osmosis rather than chemicals to treat our water, and provides healthy and safe water to our guests while also helping to protect our beloved Chesapeake Bay. Our tap water has been thoroughly tested, and meets the same standards as bottled drinking water. We hope that you choose to drink the tap water and help cut down on plastic bottle waste.
- Our eco-friendly pool is Chlorine Free. Guests comment that it is like “swimming in drinking water”. No harsh fumes, green hair, or burning eyes. Nice!
- By installing Dual Flush toilets in our guest rooms, we will save thousands of gallons of water per year, while also helping to offset the water used in our pool and Jacuzzi tubs, (luxuries that we found to be rejuvenating to both mind and body).
- Rather than providing individually packaged soaps, shampoos, and conditioners, we provide all natural bath and body products in refillable dispensers.
- By using only earth friendly cleaning products and phosphate free detergents, we are also helping to save our waters and cut down on chemical pollution.
- Our bedding includes 100% natural latex foam toppers with bamboo and/or organic cotton sheets and organic cotton towels.