Ecological sensitivity is one of our highest values at The Inn at Tabbs Creek. We strive to implement as many Eco-Friendly practices into our business as possible to become a Green Bed and Breakfast. In 2011 we were awarded the “Green Facility Program of the Year Award” and “Green Travel Leader” award for 2012 from Virginia Green and the Virginia Tourism Council.
Eco-conscious Restoration of our bed and breakfast
In our remodel and restoration of this old Virginia Bed and Breakfast, we attempted to reuse or recycle as many materials, fixtures, furniture, and appliances as possible. In addition, we chose sustainable building materials such as cork, bamboo, and low VOC paints and insulation.
Additionally, we improved the carbon and water footprint of our property by installing new argon filled, low e windows, replacing outdated heating and cooling systems with more energy efficient systems, replacing old inefficient water heaters with “tank less” water heaters, and adding water conserving toilets in all of our guests bathrooms.
Eco-Friendly or “Green” bed and breakfast practices:
- By partnering with carbonfund.org, we are paying carbon offsets for our guests travel.
- Not only do we recycle on site, but also in every guest room.
- Another goal of ours is to provide locally grown organic produce as well as other organic and all natural food products.
- Our gardens are fertilized and treated with all natural and organic products. We also offer garden and oyster gardening tours upon request.
- We installed a water treatment system which uses reverse osmosis rather than chemicals to treat our water. Meanwhile we provide healthy and safe water to our guests while also helping to protect our beloved Chesapeake Bay. Our tap water has been thoroughly tested, and meets the same standards as bottled drinking water. We hope that you choose to drink the tap water and help cut down on plastic bottle waste.
- Our eco-friendly pool is Chlorine Free. Guests comment that it is like “swimming in drinking water”. No harsh fumes, green hair, or burning eyes.
- By installing Dual Flush toilets in our guest rooms, we save thousands of gallons of water per year. For this, we have offset the water used in our pool and Jacuzzi tubs.
- We provide all natural bath and body products in refillable dispensers.
- We use only earth friendly cleaning products and phosphate free detergents to help cut down on chemical pollution.
- Our bedding includes 100% natural latex foam toppers with bamboo and/or organic cotton sheets and organic cotton towels.